Paul on 9 Nov 2004 14:31:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Revisited, Large Wireless Network on the Cheap

Jason Costomiris wrote:

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 06:17:34 -0500, Paul <gyoza@comcast.net> wrote:

The next step is to switch to WPA-RADIUS using the FreeRADIUS server.
Also, I'm thinking that using a RADIUS server for wired network
authentication might be nice, too. Or am I getting carried away with
this RADIUS stuff?

Given your choice of router - have a look at tinyPEAP..

http://tinypeap.com/

Thanks for reminding me. I think I will try the tinyPEAP version that runs under Windows first, with the assumption that it will be less useful but easier than FreeRADIUS for initial testing.

If tinyPEAP could be added to my corrent firmware I would try it. I'm currently running firmware version "3.17.4 - HyperWRT 2.0b2" from http://www.hyperdrive.be/hyperwrt/ I don't want to replace it.

Here is an interesting link from the tinyPEAP site: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/05/2143226&tid=193&tid=93

"WPA Weak Key Cracker Posted" Bad news for WPA users who chose short passphrases. The good news is, "Enterprise-based WPA with 802.1X doesn't have this weakness: each user gets a long WPA key that's randomly generated and uniquely assigned--and can be frequently changed during a session."