Art Alexion on 11 Nov 2004 18:12:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Extended characters over Samba

Paul.L.Snyder@gsk.com wrote:

"Art Alexion" <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote on 11/11/2004 09:28:41 AM:

   >Art Alexion wrote:
   >
   >> I use é a lot in my file and directory.  Each of the
   Win98/fat32 and
   >> Linux/ext3 machines doesn't have a problem with files and
   >directories
   >> created by the local machine with these letters, but when
   >accessing a
   >> share that contains a file or directory with that name, both
   choke,
   >> substituting a box or a ? for the accented character.
   >>
   >> Is there a solution that aids compatibility?

Sounds like I'm stuck with your solution #1 -- don't use the offending
characters in file/directory names. I can probably live with that as I
have tried to make sure that no files/directories have embedded spaces
either.

Have you tried investigating different mount options? Read 'man smbmount', and take a look at the 'iocharset' and 'codepage' options. I'd hope that you'd be able to use some combination of these to set up an appropriate translation between the server and the client, though I haven't experimented with this, but it might look something like

mount -t smbfs -o iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=cp437 //srv/shr /mnt/pnt

Thanks, Paul. I didn't know the character set option existed. I am going to try.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c