George Theall on 12 Nov 2004 16:19:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] usb hard drives and naming conventions

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 09:40:13AM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> I want to mount a USB hard drive.  Various FAQ's and things say to try
> /dev/sda1 (with usb-storage loaded).
> The question: how do USB devices get named?  How do I know what I'm
> mounting if, say, I have a compact flash card and a hard drive plugged
> into USB ports?

I could easily be wrong, but it seems like it's the next available device; ie,
if you already have a compact flash card and external hard drive attached,
a camera that you attach would become /dev/sdc.

That said, I use hotplug support and have scripts that execute when I
plug devices in.  That script looks through sysfs (in the 2.6 kernel)
and figures out how to reference the device, and does things like
mounting filesystems as appropriate.

George
--
theall@tifaware.com