Jeff Abrahamson on 12 Nov 2004 14:41:02 -0000

[PLUG] usb hard drives and naming conventions

I want to mount a USB hard drive.  Various FAQ's and things say to try
/dev/sda1 (with usb-storage loaded).

On the other hand, I have various things that I already expect to load
this way, such as my usb flash card reader.  In /etc/fstab, I have
this:

    /dev/sda1   /cflash         auto    defaults,user,noauto        0   0
    /dev/sdb1   /smartmedia     auto    defaults,user,noauto        0   0
    none        /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   defaults                    0   0
    /dev/sdc1   /usb            auto    defaults,user,noauto,rw     0   0

The question: how do USB devices get named?  How do I know what I'm
mounting if, say, I have a compact flash card and a hard drive plugged
into USB ports?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20