Jeff Abrahamson on 16 Nov 2004 22:33:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ADSL and Security

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 01:52:19PM -0500, cms wrote:
>   [20 lines, 119 words, 939 characters]  Top characters: _eitonal
>
> Hello all,
>
> Although I'm not a DSL user I was doing some reading about ADSL and
> security issues, specifically issues related to bridging at the
> CO. Not being an expert in networking, I was wondering what--if
> any--impact bridging had on DSL users?  For example, do DSL users
> have issues with broadcast packets and Windows' Network
> Neighborhood?

If you don't know a lot about the network around you and what safety
measures are being taken on your behalf, then it's in your interests
to assume the worst and maintain a reasonably tight machine.  Any port
that's open should be open because you decided it should be and is
worth it, etc.

If you know a lot about security and networks, then you will probably
take the same actions for different reasons. ;-)

I wouldn't worry too much about the subtleties of bridging at the CO
and other esoterica.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20