Art Alexion on 18 Nov 2004 13:25:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Feasibility of OpenOffice based FireFox plugin?

Mozilla plugins are often release specific, e.g. a plugin that works with Mozilla 1.5 may not work with Mozilla 1.7, but may work with Firefox 0.9. You need to go to the plugin's site and find out there. The mozdev.org site is well laid out for finding what you want, and for determining compatibility.

The plugins are available .xpi, so you don't need to use apt or to compile. Install them using the link at the site and Firefox will recognize and install them (after asking your permission). To remove them, just do an "about:plugins" to determine the .so file(s), and then delete it(them) from the global or user plugins directory.

BTW, some plugins can only be installed globally, so you must launch mozilla as root to install them. After installing, close and restart mozilla as root again to register the plugin. Then close mozilla and run as normal user and the plugin should work.

As mmalten wrote, mozplugger (which also has good hooks to mplayer and xpdf) can be found at http://mozplugger.mozdev.org/.

W. Chris Shank wrote:

I just tried to apt-get it - but it wanted to bring down all of mozilla too which i don't necessarily want. is mozplugger compatible with firefox?