Eric Hidle on 23 Nov 2004 21:38:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: DSL she no go...

Yep... I've had a linux box routing my subnet for 3 years. It also serves as my file and print server for my net. The idea is to configure your linux router/firewall box and, here is where most folks go awry, leave it the heck alone. You can always keep a COTS NAT router in your desk drawer to use in a pinch if the PC dies for some reason.

http://www.caseoutlet.com has some great hardware that is perfect for this application. A little mini-ITX box with two Ethernet ports is a great solution because it is low power and relatively simple. The EPIA 10000 mobo with dual NICs would suit you well. Stick a large hard disk in the box and presto - you have your file/print server/router/firewall box..

Doug Crompton wrote:

Assuming multiple IP's I was thinking of using the linksys as the
front-end and the Linux server on a DMZ port with it's own firewall. Then
let the router assign 192.168 addresses and firewall the rest of the
network. I guess I just don't like the idea of a single computer being the
access point for the whole system. I know the router and any number of
other things could fail also. There are any number of ways to do this just
have to find out what works best for me. I will still have my 24/7 dialup
PPP running until I iron it all out.

Anyone using a router front-end in a server system?

Doug