Stephen Gran on 25 Nov 2004 19:53:02 -0000

[PLUG] [OT]: Speaker recommendations

Hi all,

This is totally off-topic for this list, and I apologize.  If you only
want to read about computer related stuff, please delete and move on.

I have been very happy with my venerable NEC stereo speakers for my home
stereo, but recently both have developed a kind of grumble in the low
end and today, the right one realy started to crackle with any bass at
all.  On investigating, I found that the foam that holds the speaker
cone to the housing on the woofer is almost totally gone on that
speaker, and looking fairly ratty on the other one.  Alas, poor Yorick.

I am writing because I have not bought stereo equipment for a long
time, and I have no idea what the lay of the land is any more.  I said
to myself, "self, who do I know who would also like stereo equipment,
and might have kept up with the recent changes?"  People on this list
came to mind :)

So, I have the following basics:
Floor-standing models preferred
Amp is 200 watts/channel

Can anyone point me to a decent place to start looking, or offer some
recommendations?  More info can happily follow, but I didn't want to
send an email that was both OT and giant.

Conversations for those interested are probably best kept off-list, so
as not to bother everyone else.

Thanks all,
|  Stephen Gran                  | I can't stand squealers; hit that guy.  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | -- Albert Anastasia                     |