Dan Widyono on 24 Nov 2004 14:57:02 -0000

[PLUG] chroot and su

Greetings,

I'm playing around with chroot and su on Fermi Linux 3.0.3 (based off of
RedHat Enterprise Linux 3, similar to WhiteBox and CentOS and Tao Linux
etc.):

	http://www.tjw.org/chroot-login-HOWTO/
	http://tjw.org/etded/	(ok, this is the real reason :) )

I'm not able to su to any other user.  chroot works fine, and root can do
everything, plus any other user given the 0 UID can do everything within
chroot.  However, strace su shows that setuid32(NEWUID) is called, then
execve(LOGIN_SHELL) returns with EACCES.  I've double checked all x
permissions on the full path leading up to the LOGIN_SHELL (/bin/bash, /bash,
/bin/ls, /ls, etc. have been tried), as well as the LOGIN_SHELL executable
itself.  No go.  I've compiled the su which doesn't use pam and replaced the
distributed version, no go.

Anyone succeed in su'ing in a chroot environment?  Could you pass along the
necessary ls -lR and/or incantations?

Oh, and for Jeff's sake, if you can show how to do this in Python, that would
be great.  :D

Thanks much,
Dan W.

--