cms on 25 Nov 2004 21:52:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux Disk utilities

On Thursday 25 November 2004 15:23, abradley wrote:
> Are there any Linux disk recovery tools available for free?

Yes. There are a lot of good tools out there that do a variety of different
things, depending on your needs. Before you do anything, make a copy of the
entire disk that way should you really mess it up while you're trying to
restore it you'll have a copy to return to--albeit a damaged copy.

> I recently lost a 40gig drive.  Actually, I think I lost the MBR.   I
> tried Fdisk \MBR and a few other things to no avail.

Lost a 40Gb drive? In what way?

'fdisk \mbr' tells me you used MS's fdisk utility to rewrite the mbr on the
disk. I would suggest you ALWAYS use a Linux/Unix version of fdisk. They offer
much more functionality than the MS versions. Also, if you have a copy of the
disk's mbr lying around you could use sfdisk to rewrite the correct mbr back
to the confused disk.

> I downloaded the R-Studio demo and was able to see the drive contents
> but to get it to work I need to lay down some cash.

Not familiar with R-Studio.

> The drive appears to have been FAT32 (Which is strange because it had
> WIN2K and I usually use NTFS.)

What utility/app told you it was FAT32?

> At work, I am smart enough to back things up.  At home is another story.
> I am typically a Windows kind of guy at work with a few boxes running
> Windows and Linux for fun at home.

Was this disk a dual-boot setup? Or, did you have Win2k alone on the disk? Did
you have lilo or Grub installed in the mbr?

> Any pointers will be appreciated.

As long as the drive spins--in other words, as long as the drive hasn't
suffered any serious failures--you should be able to recover data from it.
Just take your time. First though, make a copy of it!!! If you need a second
drive for the copy ask a friend to borrow an extra drive or buy one--hard
drives are fairly inexpensive right now. If you just want to recover the files
from the disk you could simply make a copy of the disk using dd, or one of its
clones, and Brian Carrier's Autopsy/Sleuthkit to view the disk's structure and
recover what you need. [http://www.sleuthkit.org/]

If I can offer any specific help please feel free to ask. I'll be around all
evening.

To those that celebrate Thanksgiving, have a great day! To those that do not,
have a great day!

Chris Shanahan