Stephen Gran on 27 Nov 2004 11:35:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dumb idea?

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 12:07:03AM -0500, W. Chris Shank said:
> I thought about a bunch of different ways of trying to do this- most of
> them impractical- like running a program that would transfer all the
> windows data to another computer or having a portable PC that "sucked"
> the info from the windows server via the network. Alll these ideas
> involved a separate machine or highly intrusive hardware addition.

Take a look at samba's 'vampire' method - either `net rpc vampire` or
`net ad vampire`, IIRC, depending on what your Win server is.  It can
extract all the account information, including passwords, off of the
existing server and set up the accounts on the samba box.

As for your original question, it seems like a lot of work, but fun.
Good luck with it :)
|  Stephen Gran                  | QOTD:  "I never met a man I couldn't    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | drink handsome."                        |