Bill Patterson on 28 Nov 2004 02:54:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dumb idea?

I do not think your idea is 'off the wall.' You may gain some value for your clients and may be on the verge of a great new product, but consider some difficulties:
1. Samba people always have to watch out for things that Microsoft does differently from what it had done in the past in order to continue to work with windows. I.e., Samba can work with one release of Windows and not the next without additional work. The same fate could befall you.
2. No matter what you do, applications may be dependent on one operating system or another. Application migration is a whole other thing well beyond operating system migration, and can be extremely involved, depending.
3. To ensure revertabilty, you have to ensure that any writing to the disk is fully consistent with what Windows expects.

Enjoy.

Bill