kevin on 29 Nov 2004 20:55:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux Disk utilities

On Nov 25, 2004, abradley wrote:
> Are there any Linux disk recovery tools available for free?
>
> I recently lost a 40gig drive.  Actually, I think I lost the MBR.   I
> tried Fdisk \MBR and a few other things to no avail.

A co-worker of mine recently had his partition table get all messed up
in a windows only laptop.  He wasn't sure how it happened, one day he
was able to boot, the next it gave him an OS not found error.

Basically he grabbed a copy of Knoppix and booted up, then I think he
ran testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.html) And it searched
through his disk found the partitions, and then he took the leap of
faith to write out the partition table that TestDisk made from looking
at the disk.

It worked great, and he was able to recover his data, and still uses
the disk.

There is a howto on using testdisk here:
http://therdcom.com/testdisk.html

Hopefully that helps.

--
Kevin D. McAllister