Paul on 2 Dec 2004 01:42:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] finger print for security...

George Gallen wrote:

it was a USB figerprint scanner (for windows) to replace login names, you would put
 your fingerprint up, and the owner of that fingerprint would automatically be logged on.

Has anyone played with this? Could this be adapted for password entry in linux?
how hackable would this be?

I wonder if that would work under the "Smart Card" category for 802.1x authentication.

Hackable? Well, it doesn't seem to be too difficult to lift a finger print off of something with powder and tape. Making the print work with the device is the trick. I think it could be done with moderate difficulty.

There could also be a protocol vulnerability.