sean finney on 2 Dec 2004 20:41:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] finger print for security...

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 09:58:48AM -0500, George Gallen wrote:
> no, actually, in this sense, I meant bypassed.
> I assume that the gadget transforms figerprints
>   to a number, and how unique would that number
>   be vs using a password system.

well, it would probably not be just a number, i imagine it would be
a series of 2 dimensional coordinates and various descriptive
feature code.  in any case it would certainly be circumventable, but there
isn't a system that is 100% secure, and it might be an overall improvement
over a password based system.

as far as whether it could be done in linux, it wouldn't be
too hard to write a graphical login program and pam module
to do this, *assuming you could get the device to actually work
under linux*.

	sean