sean finney on 3 Dec 2004 04:24:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] new @ debian/apt maintenance

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:54:22PM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> (With Red Hat I made extensive use of source RPMs and checkinstall to
> keep the RPM database current while freeing myself from the distro
> provided versions.  Is there a similar approach with Debian based systems?)

you can do almost anything you want in /usr/local on a debian system
without fear of repercussions.  if you have other software that needs
to have a package installed but you want to use a seperate version from
source, you can use the "equivs" package to convince your system you
have a package installed.

	sean