Paul on 8 Dec 2004 15:52:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Port 113

Doug Crompton wrote:

What is the consensus on port 113/ident and having it running/open? I see
on a goggle search there are many opinions on it. I have it blocked at my
FW but it is running (by default) on my Linux server. I so far see no
adverse effects. It mostly seems to be associated with SMTP but not used
much anymore and never required. It also seems that some services like
IRC? use it. I see occasional hits in the log usually with SMTP transfers.

Sometimes auth/indent is used for IRC and IMAP. I let it through my firewall. To maintain a higher level of security, you could limit access to and from specific computers.