sean finney on 8 Dec 2004 16:11:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Port 113

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:50:19AM -0500, Paul wrote:
> Sometimes auth/indent is used for IRC and IMAP.  I let it through my
> firewall.  To maintain a higher level of security, you could limit
> access to and from specific computers.

if i understand correctly, identd is a poorly thought out method
for host/identity verification.  when you connect to some irc servers,
for example, they will send a query to your machine asking for a
confirmation that you are who you say you are.  completely pointless,
kind of like asking an anonymous ftp user to provide their email address
as a password unless i'm misunderstanding it.

myself, i have it blocked on my firewall like everything else.  the
drawback is that some irc servers won't let me connect, and others
will have a noticable delay with connecting since i drop the packets
without sending a rejection (DROP as opposed to REJECT in
iptables-speak).  since this isn't a big deal for me, that's what i
do.

	sean