Marc Zucchelli on 8 Dec 2004 23:02:03 -0000

[PLUG] what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt in email addresses?

A client of mine is looking to purchase about 2
million email addresses from infousa.  It is my job as
the tech guy to get the emails sent.  What is the best
way to do this?  I have written smaller perl scripts
for customers of mine to email all 500 of their
registered users for their ecommerce site at once.
But 2 million is a different story.  I am mainly
concerned about the webhost shutting down the website
because they *think* we are spamming, or even verizon
dsl shutting down the service if I have it done from
their personal computer.  Also, how do you keep track
of whom the email is sent to during the process incase
I have to start the script over in the middle of the
mailing.....I thought I can set a flag in a mysql db,
but can mysql efficiently handle 2 million records?

Would it make more sense to have this done
professionally?  Any other options?

Thanks alot.