Tom Diehl on 8 Dec 2004 23:43:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt in email addresses?

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Marc Zucchelli wrote:

> A client of mine is looking to purchase about 2
> million email addresses from infousa.  It is my job as
> the tech guy to get the emails sent.  What is the best
> way to do this?  I have written smaller perl scripts
> for customers of mine to email all 500 of their
> registered users for their ecommerce site at once.
> But 2 million is a different story.  I am mainly
> concerned about the webhost shutting down the website
> because they *think* we are spamming, or even verizon
> dsl shutting down the service if I have it done from
> their personal computer.  Also, how do you keep track
> of whom the email is sent to during the process incase
> I have to start the script over in the middle of the
> mailing.....I thought I can set a flag in a mysql db,
> but can mysql efficiently handle 2 million records?
>
> Would it make more sense to have this done
> professionally?  Any other options?

PLEASE let the list know where you are going to send this SPAM from
so we can block it. There is no acceptable way to send spam. I do not
care what you call it 2 million addrsses bought from anybody and then
sent out is spam.

If you do not think this is spam, I would like to know what you think spam is?

Did you or your bosses ever hear of opt in??

Regards,

Tom