Marc Zucchelli on 8 Dec 2004 23:54:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt in email addresses?

--- Tom Diehl <tdiehl@rogueind.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
>
> > A client of mine is looking to purchase about 2
> > million email addresses from infousa.  It is my
> job as
> > the tech guy to get the emails sent.  What is the
> best
> > way to do this?  I have written smaller perl
> scripts
> > for customers of mine to email all 500 of their
> > registered users for their ecommerce site at once.
>
> > But 2 million is a different story.  I am mainly
> > concerned about the webhost shutting down the
> website
> > because they *think* we are spamming, or even
> verizon
> > dsl shutting down the service if I have it done
> from
> > their personal computer.  Also, how do you keep
> track
> > of whom the email is sent to during the process
> incase
> > I have to start the script over in the middle of
> the
> > mailing.....I thought I can set a flag in a mysql
> db,
> > but can mysql efficiently handle 2 million
> records?
> >
> > Would it make more sense to have this done
> > professionally?  Any other options?
>
> PLEASE let the list know where you are going to send
> this SPAM from
> so we can block it. There is no acceptable way to
> send spam. I do not
> care what you call it 2 million addrsses bought from
> anybody and then
> sent out is spam.
>
> If you do not think this is spam, I would like to
> know what you think spam is?
>
> Did you or your bosses ever hear of opt in??
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom

When you purchase a list of email addresses from a
reputable company like www.infousa.com (which
yahoo.com   happens to have posted as a service on
yahoo small business).  And when this reputable
company claims that these are all opt in email
addresses, people that said that they want to recieve
emails on certain subjects.  How is this spam?

A client of mine, against my advice, one time
purchased a program that crawled the internet for
email addresses and then sent email out to all of
them.  THAT is spam.