Art Alexion on 9 Dec 2004 02:22:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt in email addresses?

Marc Zucchelli wrote:

When you purchase a list of email addresses from a
reputable company like www.infousa.com (which
yahoo.com happens to have posted as a service on
yahoo small business).

Marc, I may not know as much tech as many on this list, but I know a little about business. Purchasing advertising on a commercial web site, like Yahoo only proves that you have the financial backing to pay for the advertising. It says nothing for your business ethics.

And when this reputable
company claims that these are all opt in email
addresses, people that said that they want to recieve
emails on certain subjects.

Uh-huh... Like someone who subscribes to a newsletter and by doing so "opts in" to email solicitations?

How is this spam?

If I buy a single PalmOS MUA from Handango 4 years ago and they keep sending me ads once a week, that is spam. I don't buy the prior relationship excuse of many spammers (and the PA "Do not call list"), nor do I believe that everyone who doesn't read and understand the [no] "Privacy Policy" on a web site opts in. We shouldn't all have to consult with a lawyer before we interact with a web site or online vendor.

A client of mine, against my advice, one time
purchased a program that crawled the internet for
email addresses and then sent email out to all of
them. THAT is spam.

No. What you send out is spam. Regardless of whether you trawl for addresses or pay someone else to.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c