Art Alexion on 9 Dec 2004 18:30:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt in email addresses?

Paul wrote:

W. Chris Shank wrote:

Tell your employer to spend the money he'd pay you (plus a lot more) on a mail marketing campaign. He'll get better results.

Uh, that might be easy for you to say since you are self-employed. We have at least one person here who is paid to work on anti-spam technology, and at least one person here involved in what most people agree is spam. Though I believe spam and even junk paper mail should be stopped at a *business* level, I don't think we should condemn an individual trying to make a living.

Personally, I'd rather receive junk e-mail than junk paper mail. It must take much more energy and resources to create, distribute, and recycle paper mail.

As my father likes to point out about recycling, businesses are giving tax deductions and reduced postage rates to distribute their garbage while the unwilling recipients must deal with the garbage. We are told it is our duty to protect the Earth by recycling. We don't get paid to do it, but that recycled material is worth money. So, everyone else is saving money or making money while we're bombarded by ads to convince us to spend more money while being required to clean up the mess!

It is arguable that the Post Office, paper manufacturers, printers, advertises, etc., are all benefiting. But, when is the last time you told a Postal worker to give up their salary for the ideal of having less junk show up in your mail box? The problem must be corrected at the source.

Paul,

The problem with spam is precisely because it does not use many tangible resources, is reproduced by the network, and doesn't cost much. Have you got a clue what it would cost to physically mail to 2 million addresses? More than most businesses could afford. And for those that can afford it, they have to question whether the 2 million piece shotgun approach is cost effective. That is precisely why junk physical mail is not /as much/ a problem as junk email.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c