Marc Zucchelli on 9 Dec 2004 01:04:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt in email addresses?

--- Tobias DiPasquale <toby@cbcg.net> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2004, at 6:53 PM, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> > When you purchase a list of email addresses from a
> > reputable company like www.infousa.com (which
> > yahoo.com   happens to have posted as a service on
> > yahoo small business).  And when this reputable
> > company claims that these are all opt in email
> > addresses, people that said that they want to
> recieve
> > emails on certain subjects.  How is this spam?
>
> What are they opting into, exactly? Certainly not
> anything first-hand,
> since you admittedly bought the list from a third
> party. Therefore,
> they haven't opted into anything from you and
> therefore you are a
> spammer since you can't be sure that any of the
> mailboxes on that list
> have requested mail from you.
>
> I work for Symantec's anti-spam division; let me say
> authoratatively
> that the behavior you described is spamming. I spend
> every day
> attempting to limit or stop activities of this sort.
> No one has a list
> of 2 million real, confirmed, opt-in email
> addresses... noone.
> Furthermore, if there was such a list, it most
> certainly wouldn't be
> for sale on Yahoo!.
>
> > A client of mine, against my advice, one time
> > purchased a program that crawled the internet for
> > email addresses and then sent email out to all of
> > them.  THAT is spam.
>
> Correction: that is _ALSO_ spam.

Then what is the difference between spam and legit
email marketing?  I would like as much info on this as
possible in case I am being naive.  I also dont want
to get anyone in trouble.