eric@lucii.org on 9 Dec 2004 01:01:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] what could be broken?

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:35:54PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
> > `ldd /usr/bin/less` will confirm both that libmagic.so.1 is referenced and
> > not found. My guess is that Suse's dependency tracking is suboptimal - it
> > should not have allowed you to get in this situation in the first place.
> > However, I am fairly sure they should have shared library versions of
> > libmagic available.
>
> Well, dependency tracking is only good if you use it...  (See below.)
>

> Eric wrote:
> > I cannot find a libmagic.so.* anywhere on the system.
> > My good friend, rpmfind.net, located one (libmagic-4.07-1.i686.rpm)
> > which I installed without trouble. I believe it's a problem with the
> > compilation of /usr/bin/less. In either case, it's working now.
> >

> Is there a reason you aren't using the SuSE supplied rpm's for less or
> some other system libraries?  Did you check in yast to see if something
> was missing?  It's good that you got it working... but I'd caution
> against using rpmfind.net in general, unless it finds you SUSE 9.1
> RPMs.  When I search it for libmagic, I see:
>
> libmagic-4.07-1.i686.html	libmagic library	PLD Linux Distribution
> libmagic-4.07-1.i686.rpm

I checked the SuSE 9.1 DVD and there was no libmagic listed anywere in there.
Perhaps it was part of another rpm but rpm shows me zero information regarding
libmagic.so before I installed it myself.

> Now, I'm not sure what PLD is, but I know it's not SUSE.

Indeed.  I'm ready to yank it out if there appears to be any incompatability
problems cropping up.

> RPM's really
> are distro specific, and you should stick to versions built for your
> distro.  You can find a lot of SUSE RPM's on packman, for things that
> SUSE doesn't distribute.  However, less and it's dependencies are part
> of SUSE.  If it's not working, you can install the original RPMs from
> the install set or ftp.  I'd be more concerned with what caused it to
> break.  Did something get installed that broke it?  Did you have a disk
> event that lost some files?

I don't know of any event to cause this but I suspect that SuSE 9.2 pro
will clean it all up in a few weeks.

> http://packman.links2linux.org/
>
> --
> Kevin