Kevin Brosius on 9 Dec 2004 01:59:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] what could be broken?

> > Is there a reason you aren't using the SuSE supplied rpm's for less or
> > some other system libraries? Did you check in yast to see if something
> > was missing? It's good that you got it working... but I'd caution
> > against using rpmfind.net in general, unless it finds you SUSE 9.1
> > RPMs. When I search it for libmagic, I see:
> >
> > libmagic-4.07-1.i686.html libmagic library PLD Linux Distribution
> > libmagic-4.07-1.i686.rpm
>
> I checked the SuSE 9.1 DVD and there was no libmagic listed anywere in there.
> Perhaps it was part of another rpm but rpm shows me zero information regarding
> libmagic.so before I installed it myself.

No... What I was trying to hint at is that the problem lies somewhere
else.  SUSE does not have a libmagic.so by default.  And less does not
use it.  I don't have SUSE 9.1 here, but SUSE 9.0 and 9.2 both look the
same as what you've already said, no shared library, but they do have
the libmagic.a and .la.  Just for information purposes:

~> rpm -q -f /usr/lib/libmagic.a
file-4.03-40

So, libmagic development files are supplied by the file package.  But
more importantly,

~> ldd `which less`
                libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x4002e000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40074000)

(on SUSE 9.0.  9.2 also uses something called linux-gate.so.1).

So, less does not need libmagic.so.  The question you need to ask is...
what does?  Is something else running when you run less?  I'm not sure
how less handles compressed filetypes.  Did you see the same problem on
plain text files?  It may use helpers for decompression, and one of
those is giving you the error.

--
Kevin