Kevin Brosius on 9 Dec 2004 00:40:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] what could be broken?

Stephen wrote:
> `ldd /usr/bin/less` will confirm both that libmagic.so.1 is referenced and
> not found. My guess is that Suse's dependency tracking is suboptimal - it
> should not have allowed you to get in this situation in the first place.
> However, I am fairly sure they should have shared library versions of
> libmagic available.

Well, dependency tracking is only good if you use it...  (See below.)

Eric wrote:
> I cannot find a libmagic.so.* anywhere on the system.
> My good friend, rpmfind.net, located one (libmagic-4.07-1.i686.rpm)
> which I installed without trouble. I believe it's a problem with the
> compilation of /usr/bin/less. In either case, it's working now.

Is there a reason you aren't using the SuSE supplied rpm's for less or
some other system libraries?  Did you check in yast to see if something
was missing?  It's good that you got it working... but I'd caution
against using rpmfind.net in general, unless it finds you SUSE 9.1
RPMs.  When I search it for libmagic, I see:

libmagic-4.07-1.i686.html	libmagic library	PLD Linux Distribution
libmagic-4.07-1.i686.rpm

Now, I'm not sure what PLD is, but I know it's not SUSE.  RPM's really
are distro specific, and you should stick to versions built for your
distro.  You can find a lot of SUSE RPM's on packman, for things that
SUSE doesn't distribute.  However, less and it's dependencies are part
of SUSE.  If it's not working, you can install the original RPMs from
the install set or ftp.  I'd be more concerned with what caused it to
break.  Did something get installed that broke it?  Did you have a disk
event that lost some files?

http://packman.links2linux.org/

--
Kevin