sean finney on 9 Dec 2004 00:37:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] what could be broken?

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 05:39:30PM -0500, eric@lucii.org wrote:
> > The linker (ld.so) cannot find libmagic.so.1, a shared library that less
> > needs to load at startup.
> >
> > `ldd /usr/bin/less` will confirm both that libmagic.so.1 is referenced and
> > not found.  My guess is that Suse's dependency tracking is suboptimal - it
> > should not have allowed you to get in this situation in the first place.
> > However, I am fairly sure they should have shared library versions of
> > libmagic available.
>
> When I run the ldd command I get this:
>
> [eric]$ ldd -v /usr/bin/less
>         linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
>         libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40037000)
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x4007c000)
>         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

my guess is that less is doing some voodoo behind the scenes, and
isn't directly invoking or using the symbols referenced in libmagic.
i know on the redhat systems i'm stuck with, less will automatically
decompress gzipped files and pipe them to the pager.  if you look in
that strace output, i wouldn't be surprised if you find a fork/pipe/exec
sequence in there.  whatever it's exec'ing would then be the program
causing the error.

a shot in the dark: ldd `which file`

i think the solution still stands though: reinstall those libraries :)

	sean