George Gallen on 9 Dec 2004 14:42:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt in email addresses?

Title: RE: [PLUG] what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt in email addresses?

Well,

Youve heard the complaints...

The company we use for blast faxing is Xpedite (www.xpedite.com)
They also do blast emails. If you are going to do any blast email
like that quantity, it would be best to use a blast house, mostly
because they have been doing this for a while, and those that
have already contacted them to be on a opt-out list will be weeded
out from your list from the start. Plus it doesn't slow down your
server. But because the sending server and the replyto server address
will be different, a LOT of spam catching programs will flag it as
spam.

The other year, we needed to email out 400,000 names, all customers
none purchased to notify them of a change in pricing structure for a
service. We were forced to rotate subject lines, and rotate different
variations of the email body to stop being flagged as spam. In this
case we had a hugh amount of people paying us regularly that needed
to get the email, and couldn't because a program decided our email
was spam, yes, a program. We had more people annoyed that the pricing
structure changed and weren't notified (because their ISP/Company
blocked our email *spamcop*) than the few (under a 100) that emailed
back to be removed from the email list. It also took us about a week
of staggered transmitting times.

It's a shame that we had to stoop to the practices of true spammers
just to get out an email that was not spam, but rather a cheap method
to contact customers that had a postal mailing been done (which would
have included interntional) it would have been very expensive and for
the international people, not a timely notification. And these costs
would have to have been ultimatly passed on to the consumer. Not all
spam is bad.

If you purchase a product from a company, * I * do feel that gives the company
a right to email you, unless you specifically tell them to stop.

George