Douglas Lentz on 9 Dec 2004 16:33:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Oracle to MySQL?

Chris Mann wrote:

Hi all,

I've got an interesting project I'm working on here. We've an Oracle
database that holds our customer information. What I've been asked to
investigate/do is see about being able to export some of the data in the
oracle db and put it into a MySQL db. The MySQL db would be read only
and used for querying only.

I've thought about using an Oracle .dmp file, but it's rather large
since it's a complete dump (about 40 gb or so). I'm not versed in oracle
much, so I'm trying to find away to automate a method to have the oracle
info imported into the MySQL system.

Has anyone thought/done this before?

Thanks!

Well, I don't know what you have in mind, exactly, but if you are thinking of having two parallel databases (Oracle and the r/o MySQL) and you want to periodically sync the MySQL side , what about some nice Perl DBI scripts? I know Perl talks to Oracle and MySQL. You could automate periodic data transfers this way. You could also code some checks and balances into your scripts, clean up the data if you have to, the scripts could send you email notifications if they sniff something not right, etc.

Or check out Python, I'm sure it can do this all of this too. HTH.