Pat Regan on 10 Dec 2004 06:28:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Re: what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt inemail addresses?

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, George Gallen wrote:

> I wouldn't say there isn't any payment involved...
>  The cost of a business internet connection (one that can sustain a
> upload for 2M emails)
>    is quite a monthly fee, far more of an expense than a monthly cable
> bill. so, no, it
>    really isn't free for the sender (at least in the US).

You are making it sound like 2 million emails would chew up an expensive
chunk of bandwidth.  I just took a peek in my spam folder and it looks to
me like most of the spam email I get is under 4k.

4k * 2 million = 7.6 gig

I am paying 15 dollars a month for my internet server and that includes 50
gig per month at much better than T1 speeds.  I could easily fit a few of
these jobs per month into my bandwidth quota...  That makes each
individual email so cheap it may as well be free.  :)

>  To me true spam, has no valid return address, and no useful purpose.
> Here I'm assuming these emails will have real return addresses, and be
> of some purpose (to someone). Those I classify as junk mail, not spam
> mail.

Merriam-Webster tells me that spam in unsolicited, usually commercial,
email.  If you didn't request that junk mail that would make it
unsolicited :).

Pat