Andrew Bradley on 10 Dec 2004 19:01:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] FS or Trade: 1RU Server (P3/700, 512MB RAM, 10GB HDD, crypto acceleration)

I'll give you $200
And if there is something Geeky that you like we can throw it in the
mix.  Though, Most of the stuff I have should be labeled antique

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Jason Costomiris
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 1:43 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] FS or Trade: 1RU Server (P3/700, 512MB RAM, 10GB HDD,
crypto acceleration)

I just pulled this box out of service (I was given a bigger, faster
box).

I did swap out the HDD, since it had been running for a couple of
years on the old HDD.

The box is a home-built 1RU rackmount.

Specs:

P-III/700
512MB RAM
3.5" FDD
10GB HDD
Open bay for a CD/DVD drive
Broadcom 5805 Crypto Accelerator

The box is currently running OpenBSD 3.6 (just cleanly installed like
10 minutes ago).  Of course, you can run whatever you feel like on it.
 It was previously running RedHat 7.3.

However, given the fact that it's got the crypto accelerator, you'll
probably want to run Open/Free/NetBSD on it, since they give good
support for the bcm5805 chip used on the crypto accelerator.  I would
have moved the card over to the new hardware, but since I can't seem
to find new kernel drivers for the bcm5805 (last ones I could find
were for a 2.4 kernel), it was of no use to me in the new box.

What does the chip accelerate?  DES and 3DES bulk encryption
computations.  In other words, session keys for SSL and IPsec
sessions.

I'd like to get $200 for it, or offer me a trade of something cool &
geeky, and we'll see what we can work out. :)

It's currently at my house in Mount Laurel.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} gmail {dot} com / W: http://www.jasons.org/