ChrisB. on 10 Dec 2004 19:38:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Blocked outgoing ports

I think your best bet is to block everything outgoing and work from there.
As far as I am concerned it is better to have everything blocked and only
open ports you need rather then open everything and block ports that are
known to be malicious.

I think one of the smartest moves I made for my home network was to segment
it in such a way so that I can have various rule bases for each segment on
the network. That is of course assuming you are working with a firewall that
has more than one NIC and that you will be hosting more then just desktop
internet access.

A good starting off point would be iana's list of ports:

Good luck!

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Doug Crompton
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 1:29 PM
To: Phila Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Blocked outgoing ports

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, sean finney wrote:

> on the other hand, it can be kind of a headache if it's your personal
> workstation... in which case you probably want something a little more
> relaxed, though the same concepts can be applied.
>
> 	sean

I guess I did not mention... this is a home network where I am not
concerned about users inside doing anything wrong. I guess what I would
have to do is block everything and then find out what does not work! Other
then normal browsing I use internet radio and occasionally things like
yahoo.

I just thought maybe someone had established a list of common (out) ports
that were typically used in a situation like this.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *