Andrew Bradley on 15 Dec 2004 01:04:47 -0000

RE: [PLUG] VoIP over ADSL?

I have Vonage and Verizon (A)DSL (Rated at 640 down and 128 up) I know I
do not get these transmission rates.  I went with DSL because it was
available when I wanted broadband.  I went with Vonage because of the
international rates.

I am using a Uniden cordless phone and several satellite extensions.  I
easily cover a 3 story 1880's row home.

I got a soft phone for my laptop/PDA.  It works fine on the Dell.  I
used it today for a 3 way conference call.  I have a USB headset and
microphone.  Not so good on the AXIM though.   Using Bluetooth on it is
even worse.

I have had it for 4 months.  I have a lot of calls to South America
($0.10/min) and unlimited in US.

Quality is less than a land line or digital cell.  But, for what I save
on international calls!  Think about it, 600 minutes for only $60.

I limit internet traffic (not using the Motorola VIOP box network jack)
while on the phone by just not using it.  Internet usage greatly
diminishes the quality of the call.  It reminds me of a photo pixilation
when you blow it up.  You can make out the words, but you have lost some
detail.

I left the minimum on my land line, just in case.

If you know of a good bandwidth meter, I'll run it and give you the
results.

I am a little paranoid that someone may determine there is a security
flaw in either the client software on the soft phone client, the ports
being left open for the traffic, or the phone account settings.

Hope it helps.

~A~