Doug Crompton on 21 Dec 2004 07:23:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL splitter locating (was VOip)

I am not sure if you saw my earlier post RE: my use of filter.

I modified a Verizon supplied filter for whole house. The filter had an RJ
plug on the end of a short lead and a jack built into the filter assembly.
I cut off the plug and stripped back the red and green pair. This became
the input. I then inserted an RJ plug and lead into the filter and cut
this wire also using the red and green pair. I now have two IN leads and
two OUT leads. I use terminal strips to attach the internal wiring.

The demarc feeds into the house using shielded CAT5 directly to inside
terminals where the input to the filter and connection to the DSL modem
are located. The output leads of the filter then go to terminals to serve
the entire house phone system. I have many wired and wireless phones. It
works fine. The only problem I had was hum in initial installation which
was traced back to the positioning of the filter relative to a power line.
Moving it ever so slightly totally eliminated the hum.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *