Stephen Gran on 21 Dec 2004 12:29:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Debian Install with RAID problem

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 11:30:01PM -0500, James Kelly said:
> Trying to Install Debian Sarge via net install (via CD) on a dell power
> edge 6350.  The power edge has a PERC2/SC raid controller in it, with 3
> 8.5 Gig drives.  I have the raid controller setup to do mirroring on two
> of the drives with one as a hot spare.
>
> That *seems* to be set up correctly, formatted the disks, created the
> array, set to RAID 1, and then initialized the logical device.
> Rebooted, with the Debian cd.  I then proceed to attempt to install
> Debian, which works well until it tries to find the hard disk so it can
> partition.  It cannot.
>
> I understand the perc2/sc uses the megaraid module, which I loaded by
> hand after the attempt to partition failed.  I then attempted this step
> in the install again, no change.  I tried various little things I found
> online, nothing seems to work.  I am sort of at a loss here as to what
> to do next.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to hear them. :)

I think it uses megaraid2.  Try googling for 'debian on a dell' -
soembody has boot cd's for the installer with the right kernel modules.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Water, taken in moderation cannot hurt  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | anybody.   -- Mark Twain                |