Paul on 23 Dec 2004 01:29:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Vonage VoIP

Doug Crompton wrote:

Has anyone used the linksys (cisco) RT31P2 router? This is a cable/DSL
router gateway with direct vonage support for two phone lines. Both lines
have ren's of 5.0, so they should drive a lot of plant assuming you don't
have all old phones.

It appears that this router is very similiar in function to the BEFSR41
without the VoIP. It also has QOS capability. I am currently using the 41
with port forwarding between my DSL modem and my Linux server and other
systems on the LAN. It works great. This box would basically add the
Vonage capability and integrate it with QOS settings.

I am seriously thinking of trying Vonage. Does anyone have it? The
referal program is good. One month free for the referee and two for the
referer. Any referers out there?

Me, me, me! I'll refer you.

I like having the router separate from the VoIP gateway so that nothing except the Internet connection needs to be available. That way I can play with the router and just depend on the VoIP box to do QoS.

BTW, my cable connection is down right now. I'm borrowing a wireless connection to send this. This is an outside problem that has killed my TV, Internet, and phone service temporarily. There might be a connection with the water pipe problem in this area. Otherwise, all services have been very solid.