Doug Crompton on 23 Dec 2004 04:50:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Vonage VoIP

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Paul wrote:

> >I am seriously thinking of trying Vonage. Does anyone have it? The
> >referal program is good. One month free for the referee and two for the
> >referer. Any referers out there?
>
> Me, me, me!  I'll refer you.
>
> I like having the router separate from the VoIP gateway so that nothing
> except the Internet connection needs to be available.  That way I can
> play with the router and just depend on the VoIP box to do QoS.
>
> BTW, my cable connection is down right now.  I'm borrowing a wireless
> connection to send this.  This is an outside problem that has killed my
> TV, Internet, and phone service temporarily.  There might be a
> connection with the water pipe problem in this area.  Otherwise, all
> services have been very solid.

So what box are you using? The Vonage supplied box? Is it installed
between the modem and router or after the router? According to the Vonage
docs the only way it will do QOS adjustments is if it is installed between
the modem and router or computer. I am still not clear on how it would
work in this way. I DHCP via MAC address to a static IP. I do not have use
PPOE. I run a Linux server on the LAN side of my BEFSR41. In questioning
Vonage I don't really get good answers. That is why this Linksys box
seemed inviting. It gives you maximum control over things while still
having the QOS and other Vonage features.

Perhaps I could call you sometime on your Vonage number and see how it
sounds. When I decide I will use you as my referer.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *