Jeff McAdams on 23 Dec 2004 15:16:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Vonage VoIP

Doug Crompton wrote:
> So what box are you using? The Vonage supplied box? Is it installed
> between the modem and router or after the router? According to the Vonage
> docs the only way it will do QOS adjustments is if it is installed between
> the modem and router or computer. I am still not clear on how it would
> work in this way. I DHCP via MAC address to a static IP. I do not have use
> PPOE. I run a Linux server on the LAN side of my BEFSR41. In questioning
> Vonage I don't really get good answers. That is why this Linksys box
> seemed inviting. It gives you maximum control over things while still
> having the QOS and other Vonage features.

I have a Vonage set up with the Motorola ATA.  It works pretty well.
When I first got it, I set it up as the router on my network (I'm really
good at reconfiguring my home network ;), and it worked reasonably,
though not great.  It can do DHCP, static configuration, and PPPoE.
There's a simple web interface to configure it.

After a month or so I decided it was time to reconfigure my network back
to normal because the Vonage ATA-as-router decided that it was going to
start dropping about 30% of the packets routing through it.  I don't
know if it was doing something weird with its QOS stuff, but it was
certainly sucking as a router for my network.  I am back to my normal
setup.  Efficient DSL modem, Netgear router/firewall, Linksys wireless
bridge.  Most of the usage in my house is on the wireless, but also
plugged into the Netgear is a Cisco 7960 phone (talking to
FreeWorldDialup), and now the Vonage ATA.  I also run softphone software
on my laptop, and it all works.  I'm actually rather amazed that it all
works seamlessly.

So, my experiences with the Vonage ATA...it sucks as a router...you're
better off setting it up as an end-point rather than a router, IMO, but
its not as easy to do it that way, so I can see why people wouldn't do
that in general.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."