eric@lucii.org on 24 Dec 2004 18:54:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mutt question

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 01:18:57PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 01:41:08PM -0500, eric@lucii.org said:
> > On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 01:16:29PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > > as %F is "author name, or recipient name if the message is from you"
> > >
> > > This means setting alternates to all of your email addresses, however.
> >
> > I tried that and only saw my own name.  I have too many different
> > correspondents to have an alternate for each... if I understand that
> > correctly.
>
> alternates is the list of your email addresses, not your correspondents.
> You can use regular expressions, like:
>
> set alternates="eric@[a-zA-Z0-9.]*lucci.org|eric@(yahoo|hotmail).com"
>
> I am of course, taking the liberty of making up addresses for you, but
> you get the idea.  The a-z.. trick is so you can have eric@ multiple
> machines in a domain you own, and they all magically are recognized as
> you.
>
> I have about 12 active email addresses (meaning I actually look at mail
> sent to them) and another 40 or 50 accounts that are only there for
> logins.  Even with that number, it's manageable using regular expressions.
> --
>  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |  Stephen Gran                  | May all your PUSHes be POPped.          |
> |  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |
> |  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                         |
>  --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!  I figured that out (mostly) from reading the manual.  I just have
one problem with it... Mutt tells me it has a error when it sources a .muttrc
file that has ANY mention of alternates.

Even this:

  set alternates=""

causes the error.

I'm running Mutt 1.5.6i (2004-02-01)

Possibly I can get a later RPM from SuSE or rpmfind.net.  I'll report back
if I can (or cannot) solve it.

Thanks again.

Merry Christmas to all.

Eric