sean finney on 26 Dec 2004 18:31:25 -0000

Re: [PLUG] linux and BIOS

hi jeff,

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 10:46:23AM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> So imagine my surprise when I was obliged to update my BIOS in order
> to fix a bug (related to a non-boot hard drive with capacity over 137
> GB).
>
> Clearly I was wrong on the BIOS question, but can anyone illuminate
> any details?  Does linux always use bios, just sometimes?  Why?

i think there are cases where the bios is still used on a running
system.  for example, as the kernel is scanning the available devices
(which probably also involves getting some info from the bios), i believe
it asks the bios for the disk geometry.

being an older bios using an ATA/IDE disk, your bios can't probably address
geometries greater than 28 bits, so your instead it truncates the
apparent size.  on most modern architectures this is worked around by
using a larger address space, such as a 48-bit LBA, which in your case
requires a bios upgrade.

	sean