Jeff Abrahamson on 28 Dec 2004 23:57:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] what would cause the sticky bits to be set on files?

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 12:10:34PM -0500, George Gallen wrote:
> I am usually the only one who would be creating directories within
> /tmp, with the exception of one other person, who I am pretty sure
> hadn't created any files with the sticky bit set. Something fairly
> recently must have reset the /tmp bits.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is a common mistake and not a
very good trade-off to make in general.  The unix security model is
designed to protect you from yourself as well as to protect you from
other people.  The class of accident you can make is substantially
reduced when you restrict yourself in what you can do.

As a side benefit, if anyone else is using your machine or breaks in
or if you do something next year that you didn't anticipate now, you
are a bit more protected.

Do as you like, of course, but it's in the "only a couple of drinks"
category of reasoning for many of us.

That said, I don't know why you've seen the files you have, but so
many things write to /tmp, it may take some real detective work to
find the origin of any given file.  Why are you worried about it,
though?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287