Edward Pike on 29 Dec 2004 16:23:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] music station

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 18:36, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 03:40:46PM -0500, Edward Pike wrote:
> >   [47 lines, 323 words, 1897 characters]  Top characters: etoain_s
> >
> > I hooked up an FM transmitter
> > to my linux server...not the perfect
> > fidelity but then i use it for playback
> > of recorded talk shows.  Very easy to carry around
> > a portable radio anywhere in the house.
> > It was like a $20 to $30 device that
> > transmits to maybe 500 feet.  It was
> > just some FM transmitter board,
> > "Cannakit" brand I think.
>
> It looks like you're talking about this (one "n"):
>
> http://www.canakit.com/Default.asp?Contents=/Include/Template/MenuCat.asp&Main=http://www.canakit.com/Contents/Items/UK333.asp
>
> Two of the three links to the case are broken, this one works:
>
> http://www.canakit.com/Default.asp?Contents=/Include/Template/MenuCat.asp&Main=http://www.canakit.com/Contents/Items/BX-1598ASGY.asp
>
> It's $48.86 for the card, $7.17 for a 9 V DC adapter, and $10.55 for
> the case, total is $66.58.
>

> How stable is the transmit frequency?  It says it's stable enough for
> digital receivers.  Have you tried playing music through decent
> speakers?  How does it go?
>
> This seems like an elegant solution if it doesn't sound like bad radio
> in the end.

hmm I never actually tried music yet (just talk radio mp3) but i'll
give it a listen tonite for music mp3's and email back if it sounds
good.

I have their cheaper stereo model (i dont see it on their
website anymore), probably costed me $30.  I didnt bother to put a
case on it, just hung it at the back of the computer.  For power supply
i just used a typical 9v wall wart from some other device.

for receiving I only use a portable FM/SW sony or sangean radio (mono).
I had to re tune it once the past year (screw-in potentiometer).  The
radio's I use have digital tuners so its good enough for those
portables.

The only other transmitter I have tried is the "CC Radio" Transmitter,
but when i got it it transmitted to only a few feet (10 feet?)  but
people have hacked into it increasing its range, but havent
really tried it out, i sent it back after a day
(http://www.ccrane.com/fm-transmitter.aspx).

epike