DvB on 29 Dec 2004 17:06:28 -0000

[PLUG] Tis the season for computer buying?

I've been meaning to replace my PII 233 system for
years now -- *waits for laughter to subside* -- and
may finally have the dough. However, I still want to
make sure I get the best deal.

Since I'm too lazy (or not enough of a geek or
hardware type) to build one myself, I thought to just
go with Dell again since I've been fairly satisfied
with my 7 y/o Dell. They currently have system that
would appear to be a fairly good deal, although I
haven't been keeping up with computer prices lately:

- 2.4GHz Intel Celery
- 256 MB 400MHz RAM
- 80GB 7200 RPM HDD
- 16x DVD-ROM + "free upgrade" to 48x CD-RW
- "free upgrade" to 15" flat panel monitor

- $679

I really like the flat panel deal since having one of
those with the new machine is a top priority for me
and there don't appear to be any decent ones available
for less than $200. I'm also willing to put up with
the M$ tax since I currently have a pirat^H^H^H^H^H
version of W2K installed that I wouldn't mind
upgrading (as long as I get the install CD, of
course).

Any opinions on how long these types of deal will last
or if there will be better deals within the next few
months? Have RAM prices started falling yet? Any
issues with getting Dell hardware and Linux (Debian)
working together?

Also, if anyone has suggestions for who to buy from
other than Dell, or for somewhere that I can easily
order all the components for a new system in one place
and assemble them without worrying about whether
they're compatible, I'm open to them.

Since I've had this old clunker for 7 years already,
I'm in no big hurry, but my goal is to get a new one
within the next 6 months or so.

TIA