Jason Costomiris on 30 Dec 2004 20:33:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Tis the season for computer buying?

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:01:43 -0800 (PST), DvB <imasu2003@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been meaning to replace my PII 233 system for
> years now -- *waits for laughter to subside* -- and
> may finally have the dough. However, I still want to
> make sure I get the best deal.

Stop the presses!

Apple is rumored to be announcing a $499 iMac in about 2 weeks.  It
will be headless, includes a couple of USB 2.0 ports, 10/100 Ethernet,
Firewire 400, and offers both VGA and DVI outputs for video.  Standard
with 256 MB RAM and a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive.

The really cool rumored feature?  Built-in KVM.

Even without the KVM, it's a fine price.  Give OS X a shot, and if you
don't like it, load Linux (YDL, FedoraPPC or Gentoo).  Apparently
Debian runs on the PPC as well, though I've never tried it myself.
The only bummer?  The AirPort Extreme cards still have no Linux
support.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} gmail {dot} com / W: http://www.jasons.org/