eric@lucii.org on 31 Dec 2004 14:40:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] content filtering

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 09:19:53PM -0800, rekaye1005@earthlink.net wrote:

> I am a teacher/net admin at a phila high school.  I have started a unique
> program to train high school kids for tech support/help desk.  It is
> working. I would like to expand it throughout the city.  I want to add Linux
> to the environment.  Two questions...
>
> 1) Distributions and versions seem to change a breakneck speeds. No Money!!!
> Suggestions/feedback?  I have started with RedHat 7x/9x.  Is the Fedora
> tangent appropriate for business?  How about SUSE?  I am an old Novell
> guy... I still have the free 9x promotion package.

I'd suggest you focus on RedHat (via Fedora).  I believe they have the
largest installed base.  You can download it for free so the update and/or
upgrades are free.  Also, you don't need to upgrade the distro each time
there's a change.  I use SuSE and I always end up buying the X.1 version
(usually just before the X.2 release :-P )