Jon Nelson on 31 Dec 2004 15:26:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Laptop Hardware Troubles?

cshanahan@comcast.net said:
> This afternoon I picked up a new hard drive and installed it. Put a copy
> of WinXP
> Pro in the CD-ROM and restarted the machine. After a few minutes of
> formatting
> the machine crashed as it has been doing. With that in mind, the problem
> doesn't appear to be with the hard drive.

It's an outside shot but if not the hard drive, maybe RAM? From the
Knoppix site, "What are the minimum system requirements?... 20 MB of RAM
for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB
of RAM is recommended to use the various office products)..."

You should be able to pull the chip and go into test mode and try to write
to the disk.  If it works you get off cheap.  If not, it's probably the
CPU.

Jon