FloydLJohnsonIII on 31 Dec 2004 16:10:38 -0000

[PLUG] Pennywise Portable Penguin Power?

(sorry about the kitschy subject line)

I have in mind to get a secondhand laptop for the purpose of using an  office
suite (I've used OpenOffice before, and am unsure if there's a KDE office
suite), Apache, MySQL, PHP, JDK, and good old g++. (Imagine writing a book and
developing a game based on it.) I MIGHT get an 802.11 rig to 'net at a  coffee
shop. (I could download the software while having a second latte.)

To do so cheaply:

1) What is the least expensive configuration (CPU, RAM, wireless  adapter)
and is web/mail-order de riguer?
2) Which distro can handle said configuration without complaining? (It's
been my experience that Mandrake Move demands 128MB of RAM, for instance.)

Auxiliary question: If I do go for Wi-Fi, where is the Fine Manual  for the
most secure (and therefore correct) way to configure it?

TIA,

Floyd