Chris Mann on 31 Dec 2004 16:34:25 -0000

RE: [PLUG] content filtering

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 23:18 -0800, rekaye1005@earthlink.net wrote:
> I am a novice.
> SUSE cant be free, can it?

IIRC there are free versions of it, but I normally fork over the small
amount for the desktop. I don't mind spending the money if it supports a
company that has been good to me ;)

> Why did you abandon red hat, or the free fedora path?

We had just purchased a year subscription to RHN for our RH8 servers.
When RH announced that they would retire the RH line for the AS line, we
saw a lot of our cost saving in using linux going out the window. A
short time after that, SuSE was gobbled by novell and it was almost a no
brainer to make the move to SuSE.

As for fedora, I just wasn't comfortable using Fedora on our production
equipment. It made me lose sleep at night.

> What is the rule of thumb with releases?
> With Novell or Microsoft, I waited at least 6 months to apply the latest
> SP.

I generally apply patches as them come. With proper testing of course :)

> Speaking of Novell, what are the job prospects for the coming year?
> Have you used dirXML to integrate management of all systems?

Not yet, that's on the list this year, as well as a zenworks, some Red
carpet work and portal work. Looking for a Novell Job? :)

> I was reading about your family milestones.
> In 20 years, you will have another peak experience, which I had this
> summer... the kid(s) graduated from college!!! Two weeks ago, my
> daughter met with Jamie Diamond, 2006 CEO of JPMorganChase. Enjoy the
> ride.

Wow! Congrats Ron! You must be so proud! I was just happy that both
twins where home for xmas after three weeks in NICU. But now they're
both healthy and happy.

--
Chris Mann
Systems Administrator