Walt Mankowski on 5 Jan 2005 18:04:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Converting lowercase file names to uppercase file names

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:13:46PM -0500, Chris Mann wrote:
> I've a bunch of files that have lower case file names I need to convert
> to uppercase filenames in linux. Does anyone know of a tool or function
> that is able to do this en masse?

Many linux distributions come with rename(1), a Perl script that lets
you rename files using Perl expressions.  For example, you
could do

  rename 'y/a-z/A-Z/' *

In Debian this script is in the Perl package.  If you can't find it in
your distribution, there's a version on CPAN.  See
http://search.cpan.org/~pederst/rename-1.4/bin/rename.PL for more
details.

Walt